Ok, Moms, this is the moment your kids have been waiting for--the Author's Fair itself!
Just a couple of quick things:
1) They think they have LOTS of room available at the table, so please bring whatever books, lapbooks, writing projects, even first drafts you might have to share. A writing project in process is fine, just label it as such!
2) They need help staffing the Ocean Grove table, so please consider signing up for an hour. (My dear ES Terry, who is one of the teachers responsible for the fair, is very enviromentally sensitive, so the mall air is really bad for her--she and the other teachers really do appreciate parents volunteering, so they don't have to be there all day.) In past years my girls have loved walking around and looking at the books at other nearby tables, and the time went quickly. They also really liked reading the other OG books, and using sticky notes to leave encouraging comments. : ) I think the OG teachers might even have a little book-making activity at the table, which would make it fun for the kids to hang out. So, please think if you can help out in this way, and then let the teachers know.
3) The Vintage Homeschool kids will be presenting their book at the Author's Chair at 11:00, so everyone please be there a few minutes early. And please let us know you are coming--so we don't start without you--by leaving a comment below.
Ah, one of the highlights of my kids' school year! I can't wait to see what all your families contribute.
Here is the original email announcement from OG, just in case you missed it:
STAR has kept your Authors’ Fair Coordinators very busy, but now we are finished with STAR and can concentrate on something fun: The Student Authors’ Fair!
It is only 6 more days until The Student Author’s Fair! If you haven’t started yet, there is still time to make a simple book to demonstrate your child’s creativity at the Fair.
Step 1: Check out these sites:
1.http://www.bookmakingwithkids.com/?p=1351 (the grandmother of bookmaking for kids sites, filled with great ideas)
2.http://www.makingbooks.com/freeprojects.shtml (easy for kids)
3.http://www.instructables.com/id/Book-Making-for-Kids/ (just a few ideas here but they have great pictures of each step)
4.http://www.vickiblackwell.com/makingbooks.html (really easy and fun instructions for many different kinds of books)
5.http://familycrafts.about.com/od/homemadebooks/tp/Old-Book-Crafts.htm (re-using a book to create a new book)
Step 2: Email us the name and grade of your student(s)who will be participating. firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: Arrange to get the books to the Fair:
1. Bring or send it to one of us: Kim near UCSC, Terry in Aptos, Barb in San Lorenzo Valley (email for addresses).
2. Bring it to the Fair at the Capitola Mall on Saturday morning. We start setting up at 9am, and the Fair opens at 10.
Step 4: We would so appreciate your help during the Fair.During the following time slots we need an adult to sit at our table. Please let us know if you can help: the time you can help and your cell number so we can reach you on Saturday.
9:00 – 10:00 (Set Up)
10:00 – 11:00
10:30 – 11:30
11:00 – 12:00
11:30 – 12:30
12:00 - 1:00
12:30 – 1:30
1:00 – 2:00
1:30 – 2:30
2:00 – 3:00
2:30 – 3:30
3:00 – 4:00
3:30 – 4:30 (Includes Packing Up)
We do hope you will participate in the Fair. It is a wonderful opportunity for the children to share their writing and see what other children have created.
Terry, Kim, and Barb
Authors’ Fair Coordinators for OGCS