Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Quiet Weeks: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

We arrived in Tuscaloosa late Wednesday, had a couple of days all together with my family here (my parents, my elder sister Rebecca, her husband, and their second daughter, who was home from college), and then Saturday I drove Mr. Incredible and Sunny out to the Atlanta airport--him to catch a flight back to California, her to collect some friends from California who were coming out to join her at camp. I delivered the camp contingent Sunday, and headed back to Tuscaloosa. 

The next two weeks while Sunny was in camp were a wonderful, restful reprieve. It was a much-needed quiet and still time for body and spirit. This was the time when I did a lot of processing with God and He showed me new ways to think, feel, and be.



My parents' backyard--an oasis of calm in the morning when kids are lingering in bed.

This was also much needed time to look ahead and start planning for the adventures to come!



The three younger kids also enjoyed the different experiences of summer in the South, so different from Monterey Bay. Like warm rain showers. 








"swimming"

Playing with the hose.




Gorgeous cloud formations and vibrant sunsets.



And heat. 


Cooling down on the wood floor after a walk around the neighborhood.

And air conditioning.

Really. 

New creatures to meet, both wild. . . 

We have learned we don't like southern wasps or fire ants. But we do like little lizards! 


. . . and very tame.


My sister's dogs, Jack and Honey. Smiley has been leery about dogs for years--so fun he is now getting the chance to make some dog friends.

And new foods.


Dad's strawberry jello pretzel-crust "cheesecake" dessert. Taking me back to church potlucks in my childhood. And as leftovers, a perfect breakfast.

Most of these experiences were part of my own growing up in central Illinois. But they are things that we just don't do where we live in California, where it is foggy and chilly in the summer, the rain comes cold in the winter, where we have to conserve water more and where fireworks are outlawed because they start wildfires and where our yard is all dirt and woods. I'm so glad my kids are experiencing so many new things, and getting to spend time with extended family.

And we are keeping in touch with loved ones back home too:


FaceTime with Daddy.



No comments: