Saturday, September 22, 2018

FL: The Dry Tortugas, Pt 3: Snorkeling


The trip on the Yankee Freedom out to Fort Jefferson also included a complimentary lunch, so after our exploration of the fort we headed back to the boat.




But we ate quickly, because we wanted to get into the water!  The ship also provides all the snorkeling gear you need for exploring the coral reefs and the sea life that has made its home there around the ruined walls of the fort. I last tried snorkeling when I was twelve, in Hawaii--and the experience was a complete failure. So I still said I had never been snorkeling--and my kids certainly had not!  So this was going to be an exciting challenge. 


(It was so hot and bright on the beach that my phone camera picked up the haze/glare.)


First thing--figuring out how to walk in flippers!





Once the three girls felt comfortable with the equipment they were out on their own. I did have some trepidation letting them go around the wall of the fort where I could not see them--I wasn't so much worried for their safety as for them having difficulty with gear and ending up damaging coral or something--but I needed to stay with Smiley where it was shallow, and I wanted the girls to make the most of the experience, so I had to let go. I was bummed that I would not also be able to go out where the beautiful creatures would be--for about 5 seconds. But then I remembered my lesson from New Orleans, just to enjoy where I was and what I was doing and who I was with--the moment I was having not the moment I could be ideally having--and I was instantly, completely content. And I had such a good time with my son there on that seemingly boring beach. Turns out there were still fish to see and a few little living creatures there along the wall, even where it was so shallow and where there were so many people. (In fact, it was a little creepy to realize how many living things were actually underfoot the whole time we were on the beach!)

No, really, I don't think it is possible to convey how absolutely happy I was. The water was amazing--almost satiny feeling, so warm, and buoyant. With Smiley in shallow water I could relax and enjoy myself.  I could lay back and float, just luxuriating in the moment. And I could hover facedown over particularly active spots under the water, just watching the sea creatures. 

[The only negative was the presence of very loud party-people on floatation devices, probably drinking beer, definitely talking inappropriately for such a gorgeous setting and all-ages environment (some swearing, and much talk of Trump. Sigh.) But I did my best just to ignore them and not let them ruin my moment in paradise.] 


But all too soon our time in paradise was over. I took the path on top of the wall to walk around the fort and locate my other swimmers.








 I know. But I just could not choose my favorite to share with you.

 Merry and Happy in a sea of bliss.


(That's them in the water to the right of the wall)

Sunny had made it all the way around the fort, so I met up with her on land there. We showered and changed and were soon heading back to Key West. 

Happy in particular loved the boat ride.

And so ended our day at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. It was definitely the highlight of our trip to Florida, and probably one major highlight of our whole trip around the US. I can't believe we did that. lt still feels like one of craziest things to first dream about, and then to make happen. Maybe crazy, but definitely awesome.

The only thing more awesome--you can actually camp at Fort Jefferson! It is extremely primitive--the national park makes sure to tell you that you need to bring everything you need for your own existence, including water. They are the Dry Tortugas!  But can you imaging having all day to be in the water?  To explore?  Can you imagine the night sky from there?  So now I think it would be awesome to come back someday with Mr. Incredible and camp for a few days. It's a new crazy dream.

[And not a dream without peril; I think that obnoxious group on floaties were campers. So you never know what kind of "deserted island" experience you might get! Still, I'd be willing to take my chances.]

Anyone who wants to see more of Fort Jefferson--you can actually drop down on the fort using Google Earth! And my fellow homeschool moms, I do encourage you to learn a little about the fort with your kids, just for fun. Where else can you launch off into discussion of the War of 1812, the Civil War, immigration, Cuba, and the assignation of Abraham Lincoln?

And anyone who has caught the crazy urge to visit the Dry Tortugas from anything I've shared--yes, do it. You will not regret it. 




No comments: