Wednesday, October 31, 2018

VA: Yorktown

Next stop: Jamestown. Yes, we deviated from the chronological order a bit, but for good reason, which I will explain in my post about Colonial Williamsburg.




 Trying out firing a flintlock!  

 Wow, those things are heavy! Very hard to hold it level while you fire. I was impressed with the apparent strength of the woman demonstrating--she made it look so easy. 

 This time we had a cousin along for the field trip!

 Lots of demonstrations going on--here is the communal kitchen for the militia at camp. 

 Happy (kid closest) being Molly Pitcher in the cannon demonstration. 

 Demonstration of using tools to find and remove musket balls from flesh and bone. 


As with the other "living history" sites we saw in the area, Yorktown had a really good museum.  I thought the film that explained the significance of the battle was very well done, and I found this display series on the wall fascinating: 


 I hope you can see the images and read the text if you embiggen. 









No comments: