Thursday, November 1, 2018

VA: Cousin Fun

Living all the way across the country in CA, as we do, we had never been out to visit my little sister and her family at their home; we had always met in the middle, at our childhood home in IL. So it was great to be able to see where they live and share life with them for a few days.  



My sister also has four kids, but instead of three girls and a boy, she has three boys and a girl! : ). Her youngest boy Chase is about a year older than Smiley, and he was so gracious about sharing his favorite motorbike with Smiley. 

Smiley took to it immediately!




One night for dinner we all went out to a local buffet. My kids aren't used to this kind of restaurant and they were in hog heaven. 

Emphasis on the hog. 



Back at the house, learning a new card game from Uncle Mike.

Swimming in the pool.

Labor Day cookout.

And then more bike riding. 

He loved it, if you can't tell. 

It was hot, so wearing the necessary protective layers while riding was even hotter. I thought the shirt he had borrowed from his cousin was awesome. But hopefully not prophetic. 

 Watching cousin Madison as catcher on her softball team.

And batting. It was so funny me trying to explain the rules of the game to my kids with proper terminology as we watched. The softball moms next to me started to chuckle, and finally leaned in and helped out. 


The next day was the first day of school for the cousins. We got to share in the ritual of Back to School Photos.



And we got to share in the ritual of the Wait for the Highly Anticipated/Dreaded School Bus.

The bus driver stopped where we were standing to make sure our kids were not supposed to be on it. : D

Then, it was time for us to head to my kids' "school"--our nation's capitol!

My sister and her husband were gracious enough to let us unhook the trailer and leave it at their house while we went to D.C.--I had found only one decent campground near the city, and it would have been an hour metro ride (and it was expensive too, for being that far away). So Dad and I had decided that the most logical thing for this stop was to stay in the city and maximize our time there.  Dad got a really good deal on hotel rooms, so we made our goodbyes and headed to one of the destinations I was most looking forward to on this whole trip--Washington D.C.!



No comments: